Monday, July 4, 2011

All The Things I Miss About America

In honor of Independence Day and my home country, here is a list I've been meaning to put up for a while. I can't think of a more fitting occasion for it than the 4th of July. For those of you back in the US, party your asses off for me. My friends and family should also know that this list has no particular order as there is nothing I miss more than you guys. And of course, the Raskin family dog, a.k.a. my 'sister' Tasha.  I love you guys! Now, in no particular order...

My mom's cooking. Sitting by the pool at my parents' house. Walking Tasha on the boardwalk in Stuart. Rum runners. Really gooey mac n' cheese. IHOP, especially the chocolate chip pancakes with whipped cream and strawberry syrup. Boysenberry syrup too! Traffic laws (it's every man for himself out here). People that use soap. English as a first language. Choices. Freedom. And freedom of choice. Publix. La Spada's Subs (everyone back home knows just what I mean). Wendy's. PERSONAL SPACE!!! People actually lining up for things instead of stampeding. People not letting their kids piss and shit on the sidewalks like pets. Also, people picking up after their pets. Sweet desserts (some things here like mooncakes look like they'd be sweet and filled with chocolate but they have red bean paste in them. They aren't bad, but if you want a chocolatey cake, that won't cut it). Chipotle. Krispy Kreme (they do have it in Korea but even Shanghai doesn't have a Krispy Kreme! AUGH!). Arby's and their horsey sauce and beef and cheddars. Properly made sandwiches. Pizza WITHOUT corn! Not having to boil water every time I am thirsty. Not being served chicken feet and heads when we order a chicken. American holidays. Barbecues with kegs of beer. Deodorant (there is only one choice at the store here. It's better than nothing but it doesn't work well and it's an aerosal. I'm eternally grateful to my brother for bringing me a bunch when he came to visit after Raelynn was born. If you're reading this now, Phillip, which you must be because you're my brother and you're obligated to, could you pretty please with sugar on top bring a few more sticks? I never want to run out of the stuff!). Toilets in public bathrooms (we just have squatters out here except in the Western establishments like Starbucks and Pizza Hut). And soap in public bathrooms too (I know...ewwww! I bring disinfecting wipes with me EVERYWHERE!). Regular use of air conditioning, especially in very large supermarkets and department stores in the summer. Customer service (while it exists in Korea, it has either not yet made it to China or they stabbed it to death in an effort to get on the bus before it). Just paying for what you want (here, in many department stores, you have to get a voucher, take it to another counter, pay, get a voucher saying you paid and take it back to the counter where you saw the thing you wanted). Sweet Tomatoes. Dishwashers. Dryers. And garbage disposals!

I think that sums it up, though I'm sure since it's been a while, I've probably forgotten something or other.

1 comment:

  1. We miss you Jen, I'll have a beer and a cheeseburger on the grill for you today!

    ReplyDelete